February 14, 2013

The Cold Set

ATTENTION CALIFORNIANS:  50 DEGREE WEATHER IS NOT COLD


Zara Sweater and Scarf, Burberry Leather Motorcycle Jacket, 5cm x Dr. Martens Boots, Forever 21 Backpack

It seemed like winter crept upon the city over night.  A few weeks ago the winds were particularly vicious, finding ways to make you colder than you thought physically possible.  The rain that followed was almost soothing to your broken and chapped skin.  I haven't even gotten to the snow yet.  The blizzard "Nemo" was a rude awakening for my closet.  I thought I had an idea of how cold it gets in New York, but my calculations were very wrong.  This was the first time in my life where I checked the weather in my area and it was at 7 degrees.  You have to appreciate advancements in technology when a website can tell you "7 degrees, feels like 4 degrees."   Emergency bundling and tech-fabric stockpiling was crucial to my survival.   I avoid wearing anything too conspicuous when the weather is like this because I probably look like a miserable wet animal.  Precipitation can be unpredictable and I don't like taking chances with expensive designer outerwear or accessories.  Thank goodness for fast fashion and low prices.  This scarf kept me warm and acted as a shield for my face and ears.  Beneath the leather I am wearing are layer after layer of long sleeves, including UNIQLO's heattech crew neck.  Long johns of the same material are worn everyday.  Without these, I probably would freeze to death.  It might be time to invest in some real snow gear.  Canada Goose has wonderful offerings including a bomber model, longer minimal styles, and (my personal favorite) a down-filled oil rigger coverall.  Also, I might need a ski mask.



The day we shot these I realized that my rings absorb the cold efficiently and I might as well be carrying around ice cubes.  Never to be outdone by mother nature, I owe much gratitude to the human who invented gloves.  Udon or soba with hot tea and an extra bowl of pho on the side is mandatory on days like this. Whenever I am struck with homesickness, it usually stems from food.  There is nothing like the Asian food in California, but when the winter comes there is much more to miss about the west coast than noodle soups.  

There is another side to the coin.  It began to snow as I was walking home from the last fashion shows at Lincoln Center last night.  There is nothing like new snow fall; it is just as magical as people say it is.  Let's see how I feel about this in the next couple of years...

- jerome


No comments:

Post a Comment