February 25, 2011

Target Acquired: Prada Tri-Color Wingtip Espadrilles

Khakis by J.Crew, Socks by H&M, Shoes by Prada. Photos by Anthony Deeying.

Say hello to my new friends: the infamous Prada Espadrilles from the Spring/Summer 2011 Runway show. It was a total pain to get these shoes. First of all, the Prada mainline stores in the US have received different information on the production of the shoe itself. Apparently the shoes weren't bought for the US, then they were only available through special order. One person told me they might not get the shoes ever. The already jaded (and I am being REALLY nice when I say that) sales associates at the store here in SF were fed up with my inquiries and told me to go buy them elsewhere. So I did. I was fortunate enough to snag a pair from Saks Fifth Avenue in the tri-color option.

The shoe is available in a plethora of colorways. Luckily, this combo is a trio of beautiful and wearable statement colors. As much as I love the idea of a primary color combination, I am not sure if they suit my style. This gem stone palette of ruby, sapphire, and amber really works with my wardrobe. The surprising comfort of the Prada Shape Ups shoe is probably due to the rubber sole and traction; plus the espadrille platform really adds some height. I was told at the Prada store that there is a full double platform runway version of the shoe that will be sold eventually. Buyers have been saying that the full platform makes it virtually impossible to bend your feet when walking, so it is unclear how many will be produced if at all. If they are made available I think I will get the black version with wingtips! My first instinct was to go with the tri-color both for the aesthetic and iconic value. It is all about the brogue this season so I skipped the simple spazzolato leather version that is available (check out Neiman Marcus). NOTE: Like with any Prada shoe, the sizing is a hot mess. I am usually a EU43/US10, and the 8.5 fits me perfectly.


Runway shoes are my new obsession <3

- jerome

p.s. Follow my blog with bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more with how painful it is to track these puppies down. The NYC Soho store offers special order on the brown/blue/yellow combo but not the others. For some unknown reasons, Holt Renfrew in Toronto carried the ones you got, and I managed to hunt one in 5.5 down. Prada has very peculiar distribution strategies in North America... I'm still trying to figure it out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that. It was strange to acquire these at Saks when the Prada flagship is right across the street here in San Francisco. Strange sizing and an even stranger buy. But my friend did the special order for the black version and paid $995 for the double platform. Let's hope I don't fall in love...

    - jerome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice buy! Prada missed their own boat on this one. I got mine at Saks too! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RIGHT? i mean, the sales people at the SF store are text-book (almost comically) retail snobs. I can only imagine what they are like in NYC...

    - jerome

    ReplyDelete