July 28, 2011

I Love New York

Here are a few highlights from my trip to New York. I realized that lugging around a camera in the 98-110 degree humidity was not my favorite thing in the world, so I didn't take as many pictures as I really should have. But I did some work while I was there and the final cuts will be posted as soon as they are able to be published. I am going back in September for fashion week, and seriously considering moving. These are a few of my favorite things from this past week (in no particular order):

1. Seeing "Alexander McQueen - Savage Beauty" at The Met with Krse Six and Anthony Deeying 2. 5 Hour rooftop photoshoot in Brooklyn in a record breaking 110 DEGREES!! 3. Catching up with the one and only Zana Bayne 4. Hanging out with Ethan

If you haven't seen the Savage Beauty exhibit at The Met, I highly suggest you go now. The exhibit moved all of us to tears for different reasons; for some it is an overload of genius, and for others it was a deep sadness that no one will ever replace the late, great Alexander McQueen. It was fun to experience it with Krse, the dark heart agent who truly could appreciate the artistry. I had the pleasure of art directing a shoot with Anthony. Unfortunately, it was a bajillion degrees outside and the location was on a rooftop. I did like the heat, but I made sure everyone wore sun block. I pulled exclusively from Zana Bayne, so harness tan lines had to be avoided! Seeing Zana always brings me back to when we were young, running around San Francisco with feathers, eyeliner, and brown bagged bottles of whiskey. She gave me a preview of her new collection, pieces which I couldn't help purchasing. The pentagram harness I am wearing here is a one-of-a-kind piece made from navy leather. I feel so special!! And speaking of old friends, I finally got to have some quality face time with my oldest friend in the world, Ethan. I think I was about 15 or 16 when we first started talking. Over the following decade, Ethan has been a diary of sorts, and vice versa. We did some shopping, had an amazing dinner, and hung out like we have been doing so all our lives. Did I mention it was our first time meeting in person?

(Regrettably) Not pictured are my sweet times with my good friend Ali Cohen, an authentic home-made Puerto Rican feast with the Malave Family in Brooklyn, moving and grooving to a flawless set by SF transplant LXNDR at The Darkroom, shopping with my gaysian Matthew, the giant chalice/cauldron/scorpion punch bowl of alcohol at The Standard, and cocktails at the Blind Barber. I love New York and the old friends that live there. Moving sounds like the next step in my life, and it would be a major life-changing decision to go through with it. Is this what being a grown up feels like?

- jerome

No comments:

Post a Comment