October 11, 2011

Robert Geller SS2012


One of my favorite menswear shows from NYFW was Robert Geller. Each season I am impressed by Geller's collections. The cuts and shapes of his designs are some of the freshest and most romantic for the modern gentleman. I developed a taste for Geller's aesthetic years ago while he was designing for Cloak, a brand he launched with Alexandre Plokhov. The two parted ways in 2004 and the label eventually closed down in 2007, but thank goodness both men are still designing some of the best menswear out there (both received honors from the CFDA). This season, Geller experimented with "unorthodox" shapes in his design. The proportions and silhouettes are changed by accessories, oversized clothing, and tailoring. Linens, jerseys, and mesh are all used in this handsome Spring collection.


Note that all accessories including the hats and jewelry are a collaboration with Brooklyn-based designer Scosha. Also, the brogues are part of a continuing partnership with Common Projects. I am quite fond of Geller's collaborations. There is still a bracelet he did with Alyssa Norton that I am searching for.

It was an incredible experience to attend the runway presentation. There were some big names in the front row, and considering my goals to work as an editor, I was quite intimidated to be sitting inches from the head honchos of several international editions of GQ, Vogue Hommes, and many more publications I read on the daily. What a show to see! On my way to catch a cab back to my apartment, I found myself just outside the Altuzarra show as it finished. Talk about fashion celebrities...

- jerome

No comments:

Post a Comment