November 6, 2010

Balenciaga by Nicolas Ghesquière Fall 2007

Blazer and Top by Zara, Khakis by J.Crew, Shoes by Whoop-De-Doo, Enamel Bangles from Shanghai

I couldn't think of a better title for this post than simply the actual collection and designer themselves. Nicolas Ghesquière's Fall 2007 collection for Balenciaga really changed my view on fashion; it might have been just as influential as Hedi Slimane's reign at Dior Homme. The elements of Ivy League and equestrian style spoke to me directly as the variety in color and texture on the runway was the kind of eclecticism I was seeing during my first years in college. Ghesquière's styling really shed light on how to wear classics in a modern way, while incorporating cultural jewelry and accessories. This may explain why I love Dries Van Noten so much too. These brilliant ad campaigns haunt me to this day as I continue my never ending search for the shoes from this collection. I was first introduced to open toe options for men through Balenciaga's menswear collection in Spring 2008 (whose footwear was influenced heavily by the womenswear Fall 2008). I kept these tear-outs from an issue of Vogue three years ago. The influence is still with me now, speaking volumes of the longevity in Ghesquière's work.



Nicolas Ghesquière is a master at making unconventional look wearable. You could imagine my heart palpitations when I saw him shopping at Prada a few weeks ago. I did not want to bother him or take pictures with my camera phone, so I merely STALKED HIM HARD CORE glanced at him through the shop window while pretending to be on a phone call. Yeah, he is definitely worth being one of those guys for. Let's take a trip down memory lane, shall we?

Balenciaga by Nicholas Ghesquiere, SS2008





I will always be looking for the sandals and the white leather jacket with the green and gold detailing in the menswear collection (up there, third from the right). I saw both on my first visit to 10 Corso Como and regret not buying them. This may be another influence on my impulsive/compulsive shopping habits... GOD BLESS THE 30 DAY RETURN POLICY.

- jerome

No comments:

Post a Comment