October 18, 2010

Old News

SAN FRANCISCO: A CITY OF JAYWALKERS SINCE 1906


As seen on CarLust

My beloved friend Ethan brought this incredible video to my attention. Some of you may have seen this already, but it is fresh to my eyes so I am still in a state of wonder. This is a video captured on April 14, 1906. The footage shows the view of a cable car traveling down Market Street in San Francisco less than a week before the great earthquake. First of all, Air's music usually puts me into a trance. The song "La Femme D'Argent" (the silver lady??) only adds to the incredible experience in viewing this short film. To see a candid view of how everyday life in San Francisco is pretty surreal, as my morning commute is basically this exact route. Take note of the newspaper boys, men in coats, and women in full Edwardian-Gibson-girl realness. Enjoy!


- jerome

No comments:

Post a Comment