December 3, 2009

Too Much of A Good Thing



James Jean
is arguably the king of the illustration today. Though this is old news to many people (I was introduced to his work embarrassingly late) Jean's work continues to grab my attention. I purchased this print as a gift for my partner's birthday, and it is now hanging in our living room.

Jean collaborated with Miuccia Prada some spring/summers ago, during the height of my college education (which may explain how I didn't know about him... excuses!). Honestly, I did not care much for the ready-to-wear, but I lusted after the accessories and handbags. The irony of it all is that I remember vividly watching the silk scarves for this collection being printed while studying abroad in Italy. One piece in particular continues to haunt me.



After much heartache, eBaying, and research, I was severely disappointed to learn that the James Jean Faerie handbags were rare, expensive, and somewhat defective. Apparently, many customers were majorly upset to discover that the ink on the bags bleed when exposed to moisture. This bag was too good to be true, and maybe too much of a good thing.



I have finally decided that it would not be worth buying the bag... on my current salary anyway. To buy it now I would run the risk of buying a fake on eBay or website, and/or waste money on a bag that bleeds thousand dollar ink. Maybe when I can afford a Birkin, I can pick up one of these to collect.

- jerome

No comments:

Post a Comment