March 14, 2010

A Plethora of Products and Prices

Tarnished Leather Backpack, $1,290, Medallion Coin Belt, $375

I adore the tarnished leather backpack and the medallion coin belt from the Burberry Prorsum Spring 2010 Collection. I know the canvas version of the bag is large, versatile and perfect for spring, but I would imagine that the bag would be too large and cumbersome in leather because it cannot collapse in the same way as the fabric. The leather version is not for sale in America, so it would be difficult (but not impossible) to acquire. I had the pleasure of viewing the belt during Burberry's trunk show. Even when sitting on the shelf, the gorgeous belt evoked a sense of history like some precious heirloom. My only concern with the piece is that at the largest adjustment it only fits at my true waist. That is where I would wear it the most, but I want to be able to wear it as a regular belt (and I do not normally wear high-waisted trousers or jeans). But who am I to complain about fitting into a runway sample piece?! Maybe the actual belts will be made a little larger, but they are one size... In women's. I am told that these same belts will also be sold with trenches in the women's Burberry London collection.

Field Sport Utility Belt ($72) w/ Game Bags, $260, Leather Backpack, $435, Lambskin Rucksack, $1,325

During a random search for leather backpacks, I stumbled across the Mullholland Brothers website. It was serendipity from the start because within about 3 clicks, I found this leather backpack and a similar hunting belt which were available for my viewing pleasure at the designer's showroom about 3 blocks from my work. The size of the Mullholland backpack is manageable, the leather is buttery, and the price is more my speed (AND THEY DO MONOGRAMING). They also make a Lambskin Rucksack (right), but I am not as enamored with that design or price point. The belt is sold by itself or with a set of ammunition bags in 3 different sizes. Obviously the Burberry design is much more attractive and the Mullholand price is substantially lower, but I feel I can get much more use out of the former and achieve the same look.

Now my dilemma lies in practicality, prices, and product. Do I choose the less usable, but more beautiful and expensive luxury goods? Or should I go with the authentic hunting supplier at a lower price point? Decisions...

- jerome

No comments:

Post a Comment