April 23, 2010

Business in the Front, Party in the Back

Shirt by Tim Hamilton, Laser Cut Sweater by Pleasure Principle, Denim Trousers by Hussein Chalayan, Ring by Burberry Prorsum,
Bag by Louis Vuitton, Slippers by Purplow

There is a quiet satisfaction when people take notice of a great statement piece. I am floored when I see couture on the red carpet, but it is really impressive when people can work show stoppers into their daily wardrobe. My favorite details in a good outfit come from circumstantial visibility, which is pretty much a better way of saying that I like stuff you can only see sometimes. For instance, it can be moving to discover the low back on a gown when a model turns on the runway; and on the street, it is spotting the perfect complementing pattern peeking out from under a sleeve or hem. Tommy Ton is really good at capturing these things on JAK & JIL. The irregular placement of a unique design element can often lead to the most memorable moment.

The mullet was the last thing I thought could define an awesome style philosophy. However, the connection came to mind when I cringed at the fashion mullet I'm sporting in my driver's license picture came across this Pleasure Principle sweater as I was cleaning out my closet during Mercury Retrograde. It is just a regular gray sweater in the front, but from behind it has a wonderful skull graphic. Using cutouts to layer over solid colors adds dimension, which creates more impact than the average graphic tee. I also love these shoes with the red soles. They are from a generic Asian eBay brand, which is fine since I cannot wear Louboutins.

- jerome

No comments:

Post a Comment