January 3, 2010

Déjà Vu et Par Avion

I am sure you have all read about this by now, thanks to the generous retweeting that has been going on all afternoon:

Karl Lagerfeld 1980s Engraved Cuff

YSL "Y-Mail" Cuff


The funny coincidence, as explained here, was that Karl Lagerfeld was defeated by Yves Saint Laurent in the International Wool Secretariat competition of 1954. I wonder if Stefano Pilati intentionally wanted to poke fun at Lagerfeld, or if he created the Y-Mail collection as a sincere tribute to Saint Laurent. Personally, I believe it could be both, but ultimately Pilati wanted to release something to embody the maison's legacy.


Whether or not the "Y-Mail" collection is an homage or an insult, I am still in love with it. I have the ring, which will be blogged about soon. The clutch is also incredibly charming and I might browse their sale online, but unfortunately the YSL store in San Francisco has closed.

- jerome

No comments:

Post a Comment