January 18, 2010

Handsome Boy Modeling School

Milan Fashion week continues, and my shopping list continues to grow. I have been following WWD and bloggers on twitter to get the latest news on the shows. I woke up to some awkward news of the front row collapsing at Prada. How embarassing! I am not sure who was in that row, but sometimes conceptual presentation shouldn't include foam seats. Anyway, here are some more of my favorite looks from the Fall shows.

Miuccia Prada's genius comes from the unexpected. Last fall, she did studs. A lot of them. That would lead you to believe she was going in some sort of direction with menswear, and of course that was dead wrong. The new Prada man is some kind of Ivy League bad boy. Ultra sharp tailored trousers are topped with disheveled shirts and sweaters that are cropped similar to the waistcoats some seasons ago at Prada. That unique proportion is applied here in a different way to enhance that "It's Prada, Bitch!" kind of look. Let's just pretend we didn't see that camo print.

Gucci brings us more of the collegiate men, only with more sex, money, and muscle. The tousled hair adds to the sex appeal of the clothes: camel suede makes me think of skin, even under a duffel coat. Navy blazers and white jeans belong to that annoyingly charming rich kid who is, unfairly, also incredibly good looking. And kinda gay. Frida Giannini doesn't disappoint. And don't even get me started on the man-Birkins (which will get their own post).

I usually love an Etro print or two, and nothing more. But I must say that this season's looks strike a chord with me, like a hot old English dude. After getting over the euphoric shock from the brilliant colors, you are left with prefect suiting. The leg warmers add whimsy to the collection (and will add a large dent to my checking account).

More on fashion week later. Start saving now, y'all. A/W 2010 is going to be LUXURIOUS.

- jerome

No comments:

Post a Comment