February 26, 2010

All Over the Place, Part 1

You may have come across me saying that my style is evolving, changing, or something along those lines. It may go back and forth from draped to tailored and black to bright, but I want to assure everyone I am anything but confused! There are just so many options out there that, right now, I am trying to find a balance. As a pack-rat who has gone through many fashion phases, my wardrobe has come to be pretty eclectic. Here are some Fall collections that speak to me.

Lou Dalton is a master at infusing classics with an unsuspected twist. I find one off-beat design element that ties together an otherwise "traditional" collection. Dalton presented equestrian dandies and distressed hunters last A/W by using large cable knits and knee patches (the inner seams seen on riding breeches). This season, he crafted his take on the urban Scotsman. I am in love with the full tartan suit and half kilts, an idea that Marc Jacobs also utilized this Fall.

More plaid, but more punk. J.W. Anderson's tailoring updates alternative style. The hardware is chunkier than normal, as seen in the choker belt and Caravan Boots. The boots and OTHER EXQUISITE accessories remind me of Japanese street style, kind of like a quirkier Ricardo Tisci. Pay attention to the colors and layers of the shoes and bags, and how it all comes together with each look:

The Soar Fall 2010 collection strikes me as the male answer to Phoebe Philo's collection for Celine. The layers and proportions are modern, without the use of too much color. I like the combination of different textures with leather, a large trend for the upcoming Fall season.

Daniel Palillo is known for his graphics and outrageous proportions. The Fall collection retains the oversized silhouette, but it is smaller than usual for this designer. The irony is that the season calls for a top heavy look, and Palillo answers by shrinking his already trademarked volumes. But what I am really invested in are the prints. How amazing is that C-3PO/Skull shirt?!!

- jerome

No comments:

Post a Comment